Hawthorn Advisors is one of London’s fastest growing strategic communications consultancies and one of the most dynamic and rewarding places to work in the sector. We are commencing our expansion overseas, with an office open in New York and one planned in the Middle East. We are completely focused on helping businesses, organisations and their leaders navigate the complex and rapidly changing economic, political, and social landscapes in which they operate, whilst developing our people to help them achieve these objectives.
A career at Hawthorn presents opportunities to work across different specialisms and a range of sectors, and to broaden and deepen experience, working with some outstanding talent. The specific services we offer derive from our own expertise and include advising our clients in the following areas: Corporate reputation and leadership; Political advisory; Growth Companies and Capital Markets; Digital Strategy; Purpose and ESG; Employee Communication and Engagement and International.
Hawthorn comprises an ambitious senior leadership team, all with acclaimed expertise from the highest levels of the corporate, political and media worlds. We combine the knowledge and wisdom of our senior leadership team with an exceptional team of strategic communications and digital specialists across our consultancy to deliver truly impactful and commercially successful projects for our international client base.
Renowned for honest and experienced counsel, Hawthorn uses in-depth intelligence, creativity, and its connectivity and knowledge to build communication programmes across all platforms that respond effectively to our clients’ needs.
We are now looking for an experienced Analyst (Account Executive equivalent) to join our growing and successful team. They must have excellent written and research skills, organisational skills and be a proactive self-starter. Ideally, they will have experience within a communications agency or in-house function, The successful candidate will have an understanding of multiple communications disciplines and of means of engagement, including traditional, digital and content generation. This is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic professional environment, working closely with the wider team and supporting Consultants and Associate Directors in their delivery of quality day-to-day account management.
At Hawthorn, we put the client and our people at the heart of everything we do. We give our colleagues the freedom and autonomy to do whatever they can to help our clients achieve great things. We work hard, love a challenge, have big ideas, and plenty of fun along the way. If you’re looking for a place that values curiosity, creativity, and ambition; want interesting, diverse, and challenging work; have a desire to learn, and if you’re seeking big thinkers who love to collaborate, then Hawthorn could be the place for you.
Building an inclusive culture is vital to our future. We are the sum of our parts and believe the best way to drive collaboration, unlock creativity, and enable innovation is through combining diverse perspectives, experiences, and ideas. We’re committed to building a diverse and equitable company where everyone feels they belong.
Attributes of a Hawthorn employee
- Rigorous thinker with creative flair.
- Self-starter with a desire to proactively build networks and make things happen.
- Focused on delivering positive change, both internally and externally.
- Team player who is always on hand to support colleagues at all levels in the business.
- Energetic, hardworking, and excited by the challenge of a fast-growing company.
- Intellectually curious with big picture perspective on what communications can achieve for clients.
- Passionate about helping colleagues to thrive and achieve their potential.
- Interested in working across traditional and digital platforms to deliver effective messaging.
- Knowledge of the media and external environments within which our clients operate.
- Creative input to the development of communications strategies across all platforms.
- Management of several accounts, ensuring clarity on everyone’s workloads and responsibilities, leading internal meetings, and skilled in managing client calls. Responsible for the day-to-day management of accounts.
- Managing and directing media relations on specific client accounts and events (releases, launches, etc.) as well as building relationships with the media more generally.
- Beginning to build their own network of contacts useful to clients and Hawthorn.
- Handling press announcements/statements including media sell-in/pitches
- Providing strategic analysis of the communications challenges that clients or new business prospects face.
- Work experience within a communications agency or in a communications role, advising on business-critical issues.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of current affairs and the media landscape
- Excellent writing and proof-reading ability demonstrated across a variety of formats
- Understanding of how to manage social media accounts and websites, including content generation
- Able to demonstrate efficiency in managing your time effectively
- Interest in working in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple different projects at any given time
- Experience with communications platforms (databases and monitoring services) such as Factiva, Gorkana, Roxhill, Precise etc.
- Good email and phone manner with journalists, demonstrating tenacity to deliver results
- Proficient with digital communications tools.
Some examples of day-to-day work
- Supporting the Consultant to manage accounts internally and demonstrating account management skills
- Screening and monitoring of daily press comment and media intelligence on specific clients and their peers, as well as new business targets
- Researching new business and marketing opportunities, including the sourcing of relevant media intelligence, data, analyst research and their interpretation and synthesis
- Helping to plan and organise Hawthorn and client events
- Screening events, awards and speaker opportunities for clients; flagging and coordinating opportunities
- Managing social and digital media channels on behalf of Hawthorn and its clients
- Drafting thought leadership content on behalf of both Hawthorn and its clients
- Drafting client regulatory and operational announcements/statements
We offer competitive salaries that fully reflect your skills and experience, and benefits that support your mental, physical, financial, and social wellbeing, including:
- Benefits including Pension, Salary Sacrifice, medical and life insurance, plus cycle to work and technology schemes
- Flexible working options based around home and office locations, with flexible working patterns
- Time-off including annual, parental, sabbatical, and volunteering leave
- 25 days annual leave in year one, 26 days thereafter.
- Annual charity day where an employee can volunteer their time to a chosen charity of their choice
- A continuous learning culture to support your growth
- Proactive wellbeing support including our Employee Assistance Programme (EAP), sick leave provision, mental health first-aiders, and menopause app Peppy
- Office perks including snacks and drinks
- A packed social calendar which includes sports and cultural activities, charity bike rides, plus not-to-be missed summer and Christmas parties each year.