Senior Director (Corporate Communications)
Hawthorn Advisors is one of London’s fastest growing strategic communications consultancies and one of the most dynamic and rewarding places to work in the sector. We are commencing our expansion overseas, with offices in New York and the Middle East. We are completely focused on helping consultancies, organisations and their leaders around the world navigate the complex and rapidly changing economic, political, and social landscapes in which they operate, whilst developing our people to help them achieve these objectives.
A career at Hawthorn presents opportunities to work across different specialisms and a range of sectors, and to broaden and deepen experience, working with some outstanding talent. The specific services we offer derive from our own expertise and include advising our clients in the following areas: Corporate reputation and leadership; Political advisory; Growth Companies and Capital Markets; Digital Strategy; Purpose and ESG; Employee Communication and Engagement, and International Consultancy.
Hawthorn comprises an ambitious senior leadership team, all with acclaimed expertise from the highest levels of the corporate, political and media worlds. We combine the knowledge and wisdom of our senior leadership team with an exceptional team of strategic communications and digital specialists across our consultancy to deliver truly impactful and commercially successful projects for our international client base. Renowned for honest and experienced counsel, Hawthorn uses in-depth intelligence, creativity, and its connectivity and knowledge to build communication programmes across all platforms that respond effectively to our clients’ needs.
Working closely with Partners, Senior Directors lead on the strategic and operational direction of accounts. They are responsible for the development of communications strategy, service delivery and retention. They seek to drive revenue from new business as well as to achieve organic additional revenue from current clients, where relevant. Their role on Management Board means that they also contribute to the strategic and operational plans of the business as a whole, taking on responsibility for executing elements of the annual and long-term management plans.
Senior Directors at Hawthorn oversee output and efficiencies on client account teams, providing regular guidance and encouragement to ensure standards are high. They work closely with the Associate Director or Senior Consultant who are ultimately responsible for the day to day running of accounts including: the development and delivery of a communications strategy and ongoing scope of work; account performance; setting short- and medium-term client expectations; and nurturing clear direction for members of the account team.
At Hawthorn, we put the client and our people at the heart of everything we do. We give our colleagues the freedom and autonomy to do whatever they can to help our clients achieve great things. We work hard, love a challenge, have big ideas, and plenty of fun along the way. If you’re looking for a place that values curiosity, creativity, and ambition; want interesting, diverse, and challenging work; have a desire to learn, and if you’re seeking big thinkers who love to collaborate, then Hawthorn could be the place for you.
Building an inclusive culture is vital to our future. We are the sum of our parts and believe the best way to drive collaboration, unlock creativity, and enable innovation is through combining diverse perspectives, experiences, and ideas. We’re committed to building a diverse and equitable company where everyone feels they belong.
Attributes of a Hawthorn employee
- Rigorous thinker with creative flair.
- Self-starter with a desire to proactively build networks and make things happen.
- Focused on delivering positive change, both internally and externally.
- Team player who is always on hand to support colleagues at all levels in the business.
- Energetic, hardworking, and excited by the challenge of a fast-growing company.
- Intellectually curious with big picture perspective on what communications can achieve for clients.
- Passionate about helping colleagues to thrive and achieve their potential.
- Interested in working across traditional and digital platforms to deliver effective messaging.
Leadership and management
- To contribute to and support the day-to-day management of Hawthorn, including sitting on Management Board and taking on responsibility for planning and executing the management action plan
- To display appropriate leadership and management skills and to ensure effective and appropriate people management skills are in practice on accounts
- To support the effective and efficient management of staff, including recruitment and retention initiatives, and to give advice, guidance and mentoring to team members on their teams
New business acquisition
- To identify, secure and convert new business, meeting targets as set by the CEO
- To actively initiate and maintain relationships in order to obtain new clients and to maximise organic growth opportunities with existing clients and to maximise potential cross selling opportunities across disciplines at Hawthorn, working with other senior colleagues to do so
- To be proactive in identifying new marketing and networking opportunities and to attend events as required
Client and account team management
- To run client accounts to the highest standards, supporting Partners in the strategic and operational direction of accounts and setting a high standard for team members to follow
- To lead on the execution of annual plans for each account, ensuring team members are clear on the direction and objectives of the account and that roles and responsibilities are clearly defined
- To monitor team performance and output on accounts and to make the necessary interventions or to provide appropriate support
- To actively support training and upskilling of teams
- To ensure that any work/matter related issues that may detrimentally affect Hawthorn, are brought to the immediate attention of the CEO/COO
- To run and/or undertake all training as required by Hawthorn and CPD
- To act as an ambassador for Hawthorn both professionally and personally
- To lead by example by supporting and upholding the policies and procedures set out by Hawthorn
- To conduct oneself, at all times, in a professional manner as expected of a senior member of staff
- Any additional duties that may reasonably be required
We offer competitive salaries that fully reflect your skills and experience, and benefits that support your mental, physical, financial, and social wellbeing, including:
- Benefits including Pension, Salary Exchange, medical and life insurance, plus cycle to work and technology schemes
- Flexible working options based around home and office locations, with flexible working patterns
- Time-off including annual, parental, sabbatical, and volunteering leave
- 25 days annual leave in year one, 26 days thereafter.
- Annual charity day where an employee can volunteer their time to a chosen charity of their choice
- A continuous learning culture to support your growth
- Proactive wellbeing support including our Employee Assistance Programme (EAP), sick leave provision, mental health first-aiders, and menopause app Peppy
- Office perks including breakfasts, lunches, snacks and drinks
- A packed social calendar which includes sports and cultural activities, charity bike rides, plus not-to-be missed summer and Christmas parties each year.