Hawthorn Advisors is one of London’s fastest growing strategic communications consultancies and one of the most dynamic and rewarding places to work in the sector. We are commencing our expansion overseas, with offices in New York and the Middle East. We are completely focused on helping businesses, organisations and their leaders around the world navigate the complex and rapidly changing economic, political, and social landscapes in which they operate, whilst developing our people to help them achieve these objectives.
A career at Hawthorn presents opportunities to work across different specialisms and a range of sectors, and to broaden and deepen experience, working with some outstanding talent. The specific services we offer derive from our own expertise and include advising our clients in the following areas: Corporate reputation and leadership; Political advisory; Growth Companies and Capital Markets; Digital Strategy; Purpose and ESG; Employee Communication and Engagement, and International Business.
Hawthorn comprises an ambitious senior leadership team, all with acclaimed expertise from the highest levels of the corporate, political and media worlds. We combine the knowledge and wisdom of our senior leadership team with an exceptional team of strategic communications and digital specialists across our consultancy to deliver truly impactful and commercially successful projects for our international client base.
Renowned for honest and experienced counsel, Hawthorn uses in-depth intelligence, creativity, and its
connectivity and knowledge to build communication programmes across all platforms that respond effectively to our clients’ needs.
A consultant at Hawthorn must have the experience and ability to jump straight into a growing team and take control of managing clients and account teams. Consultants should contribute to the vision and strategic development of communication programmes for their clients and then oversee the execution of strategy. Consultants manage the workload and priorities on an account, managing up and down to ensure everyone is working efficiently and effectively.
Attributes of a Hawthorn employee
- An intellectually ambitious and rigorous thinker with creative flair
- A self-starter with a desire to build networks and make things happen –focused on delivering positive
change, both internally and externally
- A team player who is always on hand to support colleagues at all levels in the business
- Energetic, hardworking and excited by the challenge of a fast-growing company
- A polymath with a big picture perspective on what communications can deliver and achieve for clients
- Passionate about helping colleagues to thrive and achieve their potential
What needs to be achieved in the role
- Management of several accounts, ensuring clarity on everyone’s workloads and responsibilities, leading internal meetings, and skilled in managing client calls. Responsible for the day-to-day management of accounts.
- Intimate knowledge of the media and external environment within which the client operates
- Creative input to the development of communications strategies
- Managing and directing media relations on specific client accounts and events (releases, launches, etc.) as well as building relationships with the media more generally
- Beginning to build their own network of contacts useful to clients and Hawthorn
- Handling press announcements/statements including media sell-in/pitches and overseeing a team of
- Providing strategic analysis of the communications challenges that clients or new business prospects
- Deep knowledge and understanding of current affairs and the media landscape
- Excellent writing ability demonstrated across a variety of formats
- Demonstrate efficiency in managing and allocating work to analysts and interns on accounts
- Experience of managing social media accounts and websites including website builds
- A clear understanding and ability to promote Hawthorn’s business objectives
- Proficient with communications platforms (databases and monitoring services) such as Factiva, Signal
AI, Roxhill, Precise etc.
- Good email and phone manner with journalists, demonstrating tenacity to deliver results.
Examples of day-to-day work
- Preparation of written strategic or tactical advice to clients
- Drafting of thought leadership content and by-line articles
- Reviewing and supervising analysts’ work on your accounts
- Writing and preparing papers on new business and marketing opportunities, including sourcing relevant
media intelligence, data, analyst research and their interpretation and synthesis
- Overseeing daily press comment and media intelligence on specific clients and their peers, as well as
new business targets
- Developing briefing notes for clients on journalists, working with the junior team to develop briefing
notes on events and project ideas, researching and drafting speaking notes
- Drafting of website copy and liaison with web developers/designers; project management.